Non-profit organizations and charities exist to fulfill their missions across sub-sectors as diverse as culture, sports, arts, and social services and today they are facing more challenges than ever. They rely on effective board governance to achieve their purpose. One of the struggles they increasingly face is the recruitment of qualified board members who can provide the leadership, expertise, and resources they need to succeed. That’s where Altruvest BoardMatch comes in.
At Altruvest, we believe that effective board governance requires Board members to have a deep understanding of the roles and responsibilities of Boards and to have the skills to work effectively on a governing body. That’s why we provide training for high potential leaders seeking board positions to ensure that they are well-prepared to bring effective and strategic board governance to the nonprofit sector. By providing BoardMatch leaders with a solid foundation in key areas, we help to ensure that they are able to provide the kind of governance that nonprofit organizations need to thrive and make a positive impact in their communities. Some of the areas addressed in the training include:
- Strategic direction: The board of directors is responsible for ensuring that the organization has a strategic plan. This plan should define the organization’s mission, strategic goals, and objectives, as well as outlining implementation plans and policies to achieve them. Without a clear strategic direction, the organization may struggle to achieve its goals and fulfill its mission and fall victim to mission drift.
- Accountability: The board is also responsible for ensuring that the organization is accountable to its stakeholders. This includes monitoring the organization's performance against the strategic plan, ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, and overseeing the commitment to operating with integrity and transparency.
- Financial oversight: The board is responsible for overseeing the organization's finances, including approving budgets, monitoring financial performance, ensuring the audit is conducted and that the organization has adequate financial resources to achieve its goals.
- Legal obligations: The board is responsible for ensuring that the organization complies with all legal and regulatory requirements. This includes ensuring that the organization is properly registered as a nonprofit, complying with tax laws, and any other applicable laws and regulations.
- Risk management: The board is responsible for ensuring there is a process in place for identifying and managing risks that could impact the organization's operations or reputation. This includes developing policies and procedures to manage risks, monitoring risk exposure, and taking steps to mitigate risks as needed.
In conclusion, effective board governance is essential for the success and sustainability of nonprofit organizations. Without effective and strong board governance, organizations may struggle to achieve their goals, attract, and retain donors, and maintain their reputation in the community.
With its innovative, practical, and highly experiential approach, Altruvest BoardMatch is helping to strengthen the nonprofit sector by providing charities with access to talented and qualified volunteers who are passionate about making a difference. Through its rigorous training and matching process, BoardMatch ensures that both candidates and charities are well-prepared to work together effectively, with a deep understanding of their roles and responsibilities. Additionally, BoardMatch offers an excellent opportunity for corporations to support their employees’ personal and professional development, while also fulfilling their corporate social responsibility mandates. By partnering with BoardMatch, nonprofits, candidates, and corporations who employ them can all benefit from the valuable contributions of skilled and dedicated board members who are committed to making a positive impact.
At this time, we are beginning recruitment for the next sessions taking place in Toronto in September and Vancouver in October. Program fees will apply starting at $3,500 per person, group pricing is available. Contact us to enroll by emailing our BoardMatch Program Director, Lee Giles at email@example.com.
We thank you for your support of Altruvest.